miércoles, 3 de agosto de 2011

I PROMISE TO BLOG! / ¡PROMETO BLOGUEAR!

2011-08-03 (3 August) I PROMISE TO BLOG! / ¡PROMETO BLOGUEAR!

I am blogging again for two reasons:
Roosevelt NJ and what happened there; and
Amanda F. Palmer

THE ROOSEVELT NJ PART … On what has now become my Annual Fly-By to Roosevelt, NJ where I lived and made music for quite some time, I decided to play some of this new Monarca music for some very dear old friends there, people who are like family for me. One of them –in those times my almost-next-door neighbor had said during last year’s Fly-By, “I miss my soundtrack”. Back then many of these people were my guinea-pigs, I would tie them to the couch, bribe them with wine, and make them listen to what I was working on at the time. They were, in effect, part of my musical as well as my personal life (same difference), some of my dearest friends, my most intimate audience.

I thought of that this year and decided to share with them most of the concert I’d played a couple of weeks before, here in Guanajuato. It was the whole program, in fact, except Wallach and McNeff, just because I couldn’t schlep scores with me. So I played Scarlatti and CPE; Liszt’s riveting versions (covers you could say) of Schubert’s Gute Nacht and Schumann’s Widmung; and I played the two Monarca pieces I have memorized: Silvia Cabrera Berg’s El Sueño … el vuelo and Paul Barker’s La Malinche. Explaining a little as I always do, about each piece before I played it – here a little more because not everyone in the US knows about Kahlo’s Casa Azul or who Malintzín was. At the end we were all pretty welled up.

I mentioned to R*** something about her soundtrack remark last year and we both started crying. It made me realize something really, deeply important: These are My People. As Jamie Shaler (one of the finest singer-songwriters I know altho’ he is not a Household Name) writes in one of his songs, “The people we love are what we believe in”. That was when I realized: these people have never once scolded me, they have always been completely loving and compassionate about my disappearances … but –I say this without narcissism because I felt it so intensely at that moment— they were missing that sense of being part of what I do.

I simply can’t get so deep into my cavern, concentrating on what I do, that I shut these people OUT of it. And the best way to keep them in touch, that’s feasible for me with all the almost-overwhelming amount of Stuff I have to attend to, is to BLOG. So it’s not a chore anymore, it’s like a phone call or two, like R*** coming over for wine after I’ve finished practicing and I play her a tune or two, or just some bits and pieces.

I promise not to disappear, I promise to include you, dear friends.

THE AMANDA F. PALMER PART … a little while back Thomas Cott on his clipping service sent around three Commencement addresses. One from Mark Morris, one from I can’t remember who at this moment, and one from Amanda Palmer. They were all just splendid, compelling and coherent -- as well as REALLY funny at certain moments – but the one that grabbed me in the most immediate way was Amanda Palmer’s. http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=18041.0

Now I knew Amanda’s name but must confess that –due to the afore-mentioned cavern stuff— I didn’t know much about her or about her music. Well, that has certainly changed. Haven’t listened to the Dresden Dolls stuff yet but what I hear of her solo music I like hugely. There is something enormously fragile, open, vulnerable here, which is of course what makes it so strong.

And I have become a Regular Reader of her blog. It is funny, moving, passionate. I feel a kinship with this woman, however weird it may seem to those who believe in the labels I so heartily detest: it seems to me we have in common a belief in “No Plan B”, a lack of interest in faking it, a sense of the absolute necessity of direct connection with the people who listen to our music. Apart from the business of being a self-represented artist who doesn’t fit into anyone else’s manufactured labels and has no desire to anyway.

So I see Amanda Palmer busy, running around like me, having amazing and amusing and epiphany sorts of experiences like me … and still managing to STAY IN TOUCH WITH HER PEOPLE …via her blog. OK, I said, if she can do it so can I.

So thank you, Amanda F. Palmer. I hope we can be in touch. I hope we can trade CDs. I hope the music I make will touch you as yours touches me.

2011-08-03 (3 agosto)

Vuelvo a “bloguear” por dos razones:

Roosevelt, Nueva Jersey (EU) y lo que sucedió ahí;
Amanda F. Palmer

LA PARTE DE ROOSEVELT, NJ … Hace un par de semanas, en lo que ya se conoce como el Annual Fly-By (La visita anual de volada) a Roosevelt, NJ (EU) donde viví y hice mucha música durante un buen, decidí tocar algo de esta nueva música Monarca para unos amigos amiguísimos, gente que es como familia para mí. Una de estas personas –en aquel entonces mi vecina—me había dicho en la visita del año pasado, “Extraño mi banda sonora”. En aquel entonces, muchas de esas personas fueron mis conejillos de la India, mis “guinea-pigs” como yo las llamaba: les amarraba al sillón, les daba mordidas de vino, les obligaba a escuchar a la música en que estaba trabajando a la sazón. En efecto, fueron parte tanto de mi vida musical como de la personal (da igual), mis más queridos amigos, mi más íntimo público.

Pensé en esto, este año, y decidí compartir con ellos gran parte del recital que había tocado aquí en Guanajuato dos semanas antes. De hecho, fue toda esa música, salvo Wallach y McNeff, sólo porque no tenía ganas de arrastrar partituras conmigo. Con que toqué Scarlatti y CPE; las formidables versiones de Liszt de Gute Nacht de Schubert y Widmung de Schumann; y las piezas Monarca que tengo memorizadas: El sueño … el vuelo de Silvia Cabrera Berg y La Malinche de Paul Barker. Explicando tantito antes de tocar como siempre hago, aquí un poco más porque no todo mundo en EU sabe de la Casa Azul de Kahlo y de quién es Malíntzín/Malinche. Cuado terminé estábamos todos bastante emocionados.

Mencioné a R*** algo acerca de lo de “mi banda sonora” y las dos empezábamos a llorar. Me hizo darme cuenta de algo importantísimo: Estas personas son Mi Gente. Como dice Jamie Shaler (uno de los más grandes cantautores que conozco aunque no sea famoso) en una de sus canciones, “The people we love are what we believe in”. Fue en ese momento que me cayó el veinte. Esos amigos siempre han comprendido mis ausencias y nunca me han regañado … pero mi di cuenta –y lo digo sin narcisismo, porque lo sentí tan intensamente en ese momento— que extrañaban profundamente la sensación de formar parte de lo que hago.

Simplemente, no puedo adentrarme tanto en mi caverna que les dejo fuera de lo que hago. Y la mejor manera de mantenerles incluidos, que es factible para mí con toda la cantidad casi abrumadora de Cosas a que Tengo Que Atender … es a través del blog.
Así que ya no es obligación, ya no es tarea, es como echar un telefonazo, como cuando R*** venía a tomar una copa en la noche después de mis ensayos y yo le tocaba unos fragmentitos de lo que estaba estudiando.

Prometo no desaparecer, prometo incluirles, mis queridos.

LA PARTE DE AMANDA F. PALMER … hace ratito en su servicio de recortes Thomas Cott giró los vínculos para tres discursos de graduación en escuelas de arte. Uno de Mark Morris, otro de no recuerdo quien, y uno de Amanda Palmer. Todos espléndidos, contundentes y coherentes –además de MUY chistosos en ciertos momentos— pero lo que me agarró con total inmediatez fue lo de Amanda Palmer. http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=18041.0

Ahora bien, conocía el nombre pero confieso que –debido al arriba-mencionada enfrascadura en mi caverna— poco sabía de ella o de su música. Bien, todo eso ha cambiado. No he escuchado todavía la música de los Dresden Dolls pero lo que escucho de su trabajo solo me gusta un chorro. He aquí algo enormemente frágil, abierto, vulnerable, que es por supuesto lo que lo hace tan fuerte.

Y me he hecho parroquiana de su blog. Es hilarante a veces, conmovedor, apasionado. Siento cierto parentesco con esta mujer, por raro que parezca a aquellos que creen en esas etiquetas que yo tan cordialmente detesto: creo que tenemos en común la creencia en el “No Plan B”, una total falta de interés en mentiras acerca de lo que nos importa medularmente, un sentido de la absoluta necesidad de una conexión directa con la gente que escucha la música que hacemos. Dejando al lado lo de ser artista auto-representada que no quepa en las etiquetas manufacturadas y que de todas maneras no desea tener ahí cabida.

Con que veo a Amanda Palmer súper-ocupada, corriendo como yo, experimentando momentos asombrosos, divertidos e incluso tipo epifanía como yo … y aún así logrando estar en contacto con su gente … por medio de su blog. Vale, dije, si ella puede yo también.

Así que gracias, Amanda Palmer. Espero que podamos estar en contacto. Espero que podamos trocar discos y que a ti te hable, de alguna manera, la música que hago yo como la tuya me habla a mí.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario